The ancient Egyptians first used the power of scent to heal over 3,500 years ago. They would burn fragrant woods and herbs, believing the smoke rising into the air would carry with it their hopes and prayers to be answered by the ancient gods.
Today, the use of aroma to heal is deeply entrenched in the art of aromatherapy. It is now one of the most popular forms of holistic medicine. Used not only to help soothe and relax, there are now documented benefits of aromatherapy in helping control chronic disease and illness.
Aromatherapy is most often described as the use of plant oil essences to achieve physical, psychological, and emotional healing. This art takes on many forms, such as the use of massage and applying essential oils to chakra points. Candles also play a prominent role in this healing art, which helps teach the body to achieve internal balance. Aromatherapy reduces stress and strengthens the immune system, providing lasting health benefits. Candles are perhaps one of the easiest and least expensive ways to discover the healing powers of scent in the comfort of your own home.
Candles used in aromatherapy come in special combinations of fragrances designed to achieve specific goals. Eucalyptus is used to energize, while lavender is used to calm. Taking in these scents alters the psychological state, allowing the body to follow suit.
Enjoy Sweet Dreams
If you have difficulty falling asleep, try lighting a few of these scented candles before bedtime:
- Chamomile – Long used in teas to promote sleep, chamomile has a sweet, fruity aroma. In addition to helping you achieve a peaceful slumber, chamomile is said to have properties that promote psychic awareness and hone intuition.
- Lavender – An aroma that promotes inner calm and peace, lavender has a fresh, floral scent. It will free you from emotional stress, promote inner stability, and can even be used to relieve headaches.
- Patchouli – This rich aroma has long been connected with love and passion. Not only can it ignite your inner fire, it is known to have properties that help you achieve rest.
- Sandalwood – Bring on those sweet dreams with the sweet, woodsy smell of sandalwood. Perhaps its clairvoyant properties will help you see into the future, while it’s calming properties help you dream the night away.
- Ylang-Ylang – This scent known to enhance love and relationships will surround you with an intoxicating mixture of sweet, floral, and fruity aromas.
Lighten Your Mood
Many scents have been known to ease depression and relive anxiety. Try one of these if you find yourself with the blues.
- Sage- Powerful for removing negative feelings, this earthy yet fruity herb will clear your mind and cleanse impure thoughts from your system.
- Frankincense – This spicy, woody fragrance frees your mind from impure thoughts, releases you from destructive habits and obsessions, and has protective qualities.
Tighten Your Focus
Perhaps your thoughts are wandering or you cannot remain focused on a task or assignment. Burn one of these candles at your desk to help improve your concentration.
- Bergamot – This citrusy yet floral aroma provides mental clarity, as well as protective qualities.
- Peppermint – Another aroma known to increase intuition and psychic awareness, this famous scent is strong and minty.
- Basil – A sweet, slightly medicinal-smelling herb that promotes overall well-being·
- Lemon – This citrus scent not only will clear your mind, but will call upon protective spirits to aid you.
If you just need to relax and unwind, light one of these scented candles while enjoying a hot bath or some quiet music.
- Jasmine -Exotic and floral, this scent promotes psychic cleansing, assists with creativity, and has powerful qualities for attracting love.
- Geranium – Providing qualities that promote success and well-being, this floral yet slightly fruity scent will relax your mind and spirit.
- Apple – The aroma of this sometimes-tart, sometimes-sweet fruit brings relaxation and peace of mind, as well as aids wisdom.
If one of these is not quite your cup of tea, here are some of the protective or spiritually enhancing qualities of some of your other favorite scents:
- Cinnamon – Increases your spiritual awareness, focus, and concentration.
- Citronella – Attracts friends and neighbors, while repelling unwanted insects.
- Clove – Protects from evil spirits while enhancing memory·
- Musk – Long associated with passion, this strong scent also boosts self-confidence and strength.
- Rose – The deep, floral smell of roses brings tranquility, inner peace, and harmony.
These fragrances have long been found in spas, combined with soft music to provide the client with a feeling of total peace and relaxation. You can achieve the same experience in your own home by following suit and filling it with scent.
Combine these fragrances together to achieve the mental and physical balance you are looking for, or to gain the spiritual awareness you desire, and allow the healing benefits of aromatherapy to work for you.
Use scented candles, fragrant oils, or wax burners and transform your home into a soothing, healing place of refuge. Allow yourself to indulge in the total relaxation of mind and spirit, and then feel the healing essence fill your body as you reach a heightened level of tranquility and well-being.
After all, if it worked for the ancient Egyptians, it may be able to work for you too.